On Dec. 31, 2019, New York amended its wage order for miscellaneous industries to eliminate the minimum wage rate for tipped employees. Please note that the current New York tipped wage rate still applies to the restaurant and hospitality industries.
The miscellaneous tipped employee minimum wage rate will increase in two stages:
- On June 30, 2020, the new rate will increase to cover 50 percent of the difference between the miscellaneous tipped wage and the state minimum wage.
- On December 31, 2020, the miscellaneous tipped wage will increase again to become equal to the applicable minimum wage.
The state estimates that this change will impact more than 70,000 tipped employees. Affected employees will include nail salon workers, hairdressers, aestheticians, car wash workers, valet parking attendants, door-persons, tow truck drivers, dog groomers and tour guides.
The Miscellaneous Wage Order states:
- New York’s miscellaneous industry wage order applies to employees who are not covered by another minimum wage order or work for a nonprofit.
- Employers can pay the high tip rate to employees who receive tips that are equal to or greater than the high tip rate.
- Employers can pay the low tip rate to employees who receive tips that are between the low and high tip rates.
- Employers must pay the full minimum wage rate to employees who receive tips lower than the low tip rate.
New York Tipped Wage Rate Table
|Minimum Wage for Tipped Employees in Miscellaneous Industries|
|New York City||Long Island & Westchester||Rest of the State|
|Min. Wage||Low Tips||High Tips||Min. Wage||Low Tips||High Tips||Min. Wage||Low Tips||High Tips|
|Dec. 31, 2019||$15||$12.75||$11.35||$13||$11.05||$9.80||$11.80||$10.05||$9.80|
|June 30, 2020||$15||$13.85||$13.15||$13||$12||$11.40||$11.80||$10.90||$10.35|
|Dec. 31, 2020||$15||$15||$15||$14||$14||$14||$12.50||$12.50||$12.50|
To manage the backend of any payroll process revisions, an HCM solution can streamline all tracking, updating, and reviewing of important business data. Keep your company agile today and tomorrow with iSolved, GTM’s platform that adapts to changing regulations, helps you maintain compliance, and ensures your employees are paid correctly. Request a free quote today to learn more.
© 2020 Zywave, Inc. All rights reserved.