Household Employee Benefits Checklist
Here are some key areas to consider when offering household employee benefits to your nanny, housekeeper or other domestic worker.
- Investigate health insurance coverage options to see which ones best fit your employee’s needs and your budget.
- For the benefit of your family and employee, calculate the amount of personal time to be offered to your employees.
- Set regular review periods for salary changes and bonuses, and make sure employees know when these will occur.
- Be clear with your worker about the extra perks the they receive while working within the household including the use of facilities and property.
- Consider providing your employee with a mileage reimbursement or a gas card to help with their commute or with transporting children.
- Think about developing a transportation policy. You may, perhaps, provide an auto club membership to your employee who drives as part of their job, or periodically provide for the vehicle in use to be maintained with a tune up and oil change.
- Consider adding special perks to help your employee. You may establish an employee assistance plan or gift certificate to a spa/health club as a way to help your employee de-stress.
- Consider providing your employee with scheduled free time each week for them to make personal errands and phone calls.
We’re here to help in your efforts to provide household employee benefits. Feel free to call us at (800) 929-9213 or email [email protected] with your questions on household employee benefits.
Also, download The Complete Guide to Household Payroll. It will help you every step of the way and explain everything you need to do. There’s even a handy checklist and payroll calendar at the end of the guide to use as references.
Stay up to date with our Free Newsletter
Free Resources on Household Employment
- Nanny Tax Calculator
- Nanny Tax Guide
- Tax Forms
- Tax Calendar for Household Employment
- Free eBook Chapter: Managing Payroll and Taxes
- Payroll & Holiday Calendar
- Guides & Checklists
- Employer Responsibilities
- Domestic Workers' Rights
- Workers' Compensation Requirements
- Government Websites for Household Employers