Household Employee Work Agreement
A household employee work agreement is a detailed outline of the employment engagement. It establishes a clear understanding between you, as the employer, and your employee regarding their duties and responsibilities and helps reduce the likelihood of issues and misunderstandings during their employment. A household employee work agreement will also set the tone of your working relationships with open and clear communications.
Follow these tips as you prepare your own household employee work agreement.
Writing a Household Employee Work Agreement
- Take your time and thoughtfully consider what to include in the work agreement.
- If you are using a placement agency, get their advice and input.
- If you plan to use a standard work agreement template, customize it to suit your household’s specific needs.
- Specify the nanny’s schedule, wages, benefits, and job responsibilities.
- If there is a time frame for employment (i.e. temporary placement), include those dates in the agreement.
- The agreement should be easy to read and understandable by all parties involved.
- Consider including a confidentiality clause that extends during and after employment.
- Once completed, discuss the work agreement with the employee and answer any questions and concerns they may have.
- If the employee expresses a concern that can’t be resolved, recommend that the employee seek their own legal counsel.
- You and your employee should sign and date the agreement. Provide a copy to your employee and keep a signed copy in the employee’s file.
- The agreement should be in place prior to the employee’s start date.
- If working with a placement agency, send them a signed copy for their records.
Implementing a Household Employee Work Agreement
Creating a household employee work agreement can be complicated and time consuming. We’re here to help. Feel free to call us at (800) 929-9213, email Questions@GTM.com or chat with us about your questions or concerns. We’ll help you take the guesswork out of creating a work agreement and save you hours of time.
Also, download The Complete Guide to Household Payroll. It will help you every step of the way and explain everything you need to do. There’s even a handy checklist and payroll calendar at the end of the guide to use as references.
Stay up to date with our Free Newsletter
Free Resources on Household Employment
- Nanny Tax Calculator
- Nanny Tax Guide
- Tax Forms
- Tax Calendar for Household Employment
- Free eBook Chapter: Managing Payroll and Taxes
- Payroll & Holiday Calendar
- Guides & Checklists
- Employer Responsibilities
- Domestic Workers' Rights
- Workers' Compensation Requirements
- Government Websites for Household Employers